Design Philosophy

I grew up with a Mom who would paint a new room in our house every month and would constantly change furniture arrangements. Before I knew it I was in my room rearranging furniture once a month and constantly painting my walls and finding new bed comforters etc. It was then that I realized I was developing a passion to design rooms in my home and make frequent trips to Ikea, what seemed to be my new favorite store. It's the way you can show your style through design and have multiple inspirations that create something that I love about design.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Creating My Own Textile


In the concept development process of designing my depot into a gallery, studio, and residence, I was able to get the chance to create numerous patterns and in the end pick out the best to be created into a textile fabric. There were many steps before creating the final product but I started by first having an inspiration. My inspiration was from a picture I took at the Pullman Train Depot. Outside of the depot was a broken down train and it grabbed my attention from the way it stood with the gloomy sky behind it. The train consisted of many elements and principals of design. I used those design principals and elements to create abstract modules. The modules had straight bold lines, curved lines, unity, connection, and contrast. After creating several abstract modules, I selected two that I thought showed my inspiration best in an abstract way. With those 2 modules I used Photoshop and InDesign to edit, crop, rotate, and repeat to create different patterns with different color schemes to use for my textile. Eventually I choose a final pattern and color schemed which my final 36”x36” textile. The final textile still consisted of principals and elements of design from the original inspiration such as strong bold lines, curved lines, connection, and unity. There were many color schemes that worked with my pattern but I ended up choosing the original colors of the train for my textile; red, black and white. When my fabric came in off of ordering from SpoonFlower, a 36”x36” piece of fabric with my textile, I wasn’t surprised at all, for it had turned out just the way I had ordered. I really like my pattern but I do wish I could’ve done a better job and making the lines match up a little better. Also I wish I had considered making my scale smaller. The module was placed at 3”x3” the original size, but I wish I had done it just a half inch smaller. Overall the process of creating a fabric is very long, but it was definatley worth the process because you get to see how many options you have. I am pleased with my very first created fabric but I know in the future I can do better and I plan to be more careful about matching the modules up. This textile will be used in 3D form in my final plan of the depot. I plan on using it as a 3 form panel that is partially transparent, behind the reception desk so it gives a little divider.
Final Fabric

No comments:

Post a Comment